Saturday, February 11, 2012

i tell you what.



First of all, I less-than-three joan rivers. I once met her very briefly at a dinner where I volunteered to hand out pamphlets and she was probably the nicest celebrity I came across the entire night. Second, I don't know if I'm hanging out on the tumblr too much (but can you REALLY do that too much?), but I'm starting to roll my eyes a little at all the "typography" posters with "inspirational" quotes telling us that it's going to be OK, everything is going to be great and amazing, etc.. The first twenty times I saw them, it was nice, but I suddenly feel that a swarm of Pinterest-type, wishy-washy, feel better, teenage emo, typographic posters are slowly invading my territory. And no, I'm not cynical. I just don't need a handwritten-yet-very-designed bosom of a poster to cry on.

The above was not meant to be a rant, but just an observation. It's also a set-up to one of my favorite tv spots Joan Rivers made, and it was on Louis C.K.. One of her first great lines in this bit was "You don't know when you're lucky". As I watched that, I thought to myself, "Oh, she done told me." But then my favorite came along...her words (and the writers) of wisdom:

"It doesn't get better. YOU get better. I've gone up, I've gone down, I've been bankrupt, I've been broke, but you do it. And you do it because we love it more than anything else. What we do is not a job. Sounds so stupid. What we do is a calling, my dear. We make people happy. It's a calling."

realtalk.

3 comments:

  1. I am guilty of this. Sorry!

    Joan Rivers is all ten shades of awesome. This is my favorite Joan Rivers moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhbF5u9yMkU

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that scene too~!

    oh, i don't hate ALL posters; just the very cheesy ones that are overplayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 btw, I had a great time Saturday night! One of these days you're going to let me film you dancing. It makes me so happy; we need to share this joy with the world hahaha.

    ReplyDelete