Tuesday, January 10, 2012

imitate a cat puking



A scene from my favorite Parker Posey movie, "Party Girl". This dance scene alone is responsible for my almost more than decade long obsession with wearing black, wide legged pants (which were, for a short time in Rome, creased as was de rigeur at that period). Whenever I reorganize anything in my house, my sister is quick to point out the scene in which Mary rearranges Leo's thousand album collection according to the Dewey Decimal System.

This movie is also why I call out the following phrases:

"DADDAYYYY!"
• used when the DJ plays a bad song or drops the needle

"Yo, what's up with this guy, all he plays is House?"
• I like House, so I usually substitute this for "Yo, what's up with this guy, all he plays is ___(insert bad music)___?"

"Imitate a Cat Puking"
• I, or someone in my party, have committed an embarrassing faux pas.

"Oranges and Peaches / Origin of Species"
• Totes did not hear what you just said.

"Yo, Betty Crocker you ain't."
• Something is amuck with this food we are eating.

"What's up Buttercup?"
• This is self explanatory.

"Can I have a falafel with hot sauce, a side order of baba ghanoush, and a seltzer please?"
• What's up Buttercup?

Another fond memory I have of this movie was JPH becoming obsessed with the one song playing in this clip after I had lent the movie to him. He ended up finding it on someone's profile on MySpace (yes, it was during the mispacio days) and aggressively emailing them asking for the music file. That made for a great mixtape later on.

The movie is pretty cheesy by today's standards (i.e., my age) BUT I still love it to death. It captures the proverbial hopeful, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed period during my youth. To my now daily "adult life", it makes me stop and say "Yo, Betty Crocker you ain't."

1 comment:

  1. hahahahah @ something is amuck with this food we are eating.

    Amuck! Amuck amuck amuck!

    ReplyDelete