Sunday, January 15, 2012

nostalgia saturday part one: stockholm syndrome

You may have missed the millions of commercials out about this, but Disney re-released "Beauty and the Beast" in theatres AND in 3D. Be still my...no. I am not a huge fan of this 3-D fad, especially since I experience 3D all day every day, but since it was "Beauty and the Beast", I was willing to take one for the team. Like any typical young girl, I was enchanted with "Beauty and the Beast" when it first came out more than two decades ago. My cousin took me and my sisters to see it in the theatre, and a week later, I convinced my other cousin to take me to see it again.

The scene that had THE biggestt visual impact on me was probably during the "Be Our Guest" number:



I was mesmerized as the rows of moving dishes replicated into step-and-repeat-extravaganza. Apparently, I was a fan of "things organized neatly" at an early age. This was also the very first time, as I was experiencing this scene, "Oh my God, I better savor this moment because I know I will never feel this way ever again." I realize now that this thought came before I realized that this movie would come to video, television, dvd, blu-ray, and the theatre again. Still, I was curious to see how I would feel about this scene when I saw it as an adult. The result? I loved it. Thoughts? This bit which played for days long in my mind only lasted about two to three seconds. It was a slight "Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine" moment.

But overall, it was a lovely time catching the film with Vina and Ginnie, and a million other kids. I laughed a lot more than I remembered...and I wanted to see if I would cry during the parts of the film that I remember my older cousins crying through, now that I know more about life (/sarcasm). Annnnd...I didn't cry. It was very nice, though.

And to even further the image of being a complete dork,, I was reminded of how I received the piano book for this movie, learned every single song and played and sang to it, doing all the characters with my sister. And when THAT was done, I traced and redrew each picture from that book.

Oh right, stockholm syndrome. Even though I enjoyed the story very much, I always wondered why she fell in love with a beast who had taken her father as prisoner and later took her as one. As I remember, Belle was quite pissed when Gaston had her father locked up and ready to go to an asylum. I suppose Gaston should have bought her affections with the world's biggest personal library...?

No comments:

Post a Comment